Local or interstate transportation service | Free online quotes
Free, fixed price quotations for transporting a boat in Australia
We can transport any type of boat or brand in Australia
It doesn’t matter what type of boat you need to have moved, we have the equipment and experience to do large boat relocating for any type of marine vessel from 20 to 60 foot in length and up to 30 tonnes in weight.
We are experienced transporting a boat no matter the type or brand by road short or long distances; leisure, fishing, bowriders, centre console, cuddy cabin, flybridge cruiser, sports cruiser, walk-around, centre cabins or even side consoles.
Boat transportation routes that we SERVICE
Slip Away is a boat transporter that operates in all states of Australia. We are able to do large or oversize boat relocations between any destination including boat dealers, yards or a marina.
We aim to process all boat or yacht transport quotes within 24 hours, usually faster, so you can find out how much it costs to get yours transported. We’re often available at short notice, 7 days a week, making sure your boat can be hauled by road at a time that works best for you.
LICENSED AND QUALIFIED australian transportation COMPANY that moves boats
When you choose Slip Away boat transportation company for your boat moving needs you get absolute peace of mind knowing that we are fully licensed, qualified and insured to transport oversize large loads by road. We don’t use passenger 4WD’s, a ute or a tow truck, our boat transporting service strictly adheres to all the rules and regulations set by each state’s RMS or Maritime Safety Government departments using heavy haulage vehicles & trailers – we are professional boat movers in Australia.
We are one of the best choices for boat hauling by road in Australia enabling you to move your vessel quickly and safely. So no matter if you are an owner, a local boat manufacturer, distributor or operating a marina, we extend the same level of professional service no matter the type of vessel being moved or the reason.
You deal directly with Peter the owner and that is how Slip Away can provide the best boat transport costs in Australia. No overheads, no fuss, just a straight talking truck driver that loves moving boats for a living.
Get an instant quote to calculate your transport costs
We RELOCATE large boats in AUSTRALIA even if you don't have a trailer
Our specialty is helping people who want to relocate, move or sell their boat but they don’t own a trailer or a vehicle that can tow heavy, oversize loads with. We can haul any large size that is 20 to 60 foot in length onto our heavy duty haulage trailers from your house, at a marina or even at a boat ramp where you can float it straight on. This means you can save money buying or hiring a trailer & don’t have to go through the stress of figuring out how to drive safely on the road with a large, heavy or wide load.
Our fleet includes a number of vehicles including a custom built towing vehicle that has 2WD and 4WD low range gearing to get maximum traction in any situation, including wet ramps, farms or steep inclines. Our trailers have been specially designed with air bag suspension to control the height of the tow ball on uneven surfaces or angles. It means we can hand a wide range of drafts, fin keels, twin hulls, centerboards and other hull shapes.
You can have your vessel lifted onto our trailer with a crane or travel lift from a dry dock, hard stand or storage yard. We take care of all the steps for you. Never again do you need to worry about the logistics of moving your boat from one location to another. Our team will liaise with both the loading and off-loading points as well as manage all the movement authorisations, permits, escorts and bookings where required. Best of all, because we know how to do this in a cost-effective manner, we will pass these savings onto you (not to mention the time you save)
We will also help you prepare your vessel to be moved so that nothing is damaged.
“Can’t recommend Peter from Slip Away highly enough he went above and beyond to deliver my sons new Stacer boat he won in the Pirtek fishing challenge from Sydney to Adelaide then pickup at Keith SA . Absolute champion of a bloke”
“I needed a last minute transport. Slip away was available, and really quick to turn up. Really amazing trailer. Nice bloke and great to have a chat with.
Peter was very professional and took pride in his work, there was never a doubt in my mind that he would get us home safe and efficient!!! Would definitely use them again.”
“Got my boat slipped today. I was so amazed on how professional and caring Peter was with my boat.
He made it all to easy from loading to unloading. He even took the time to show me how to move the boat from side to side on the slip so that I can work on it.
Boat transport costs for delivery, pick up or relocation services
Slip Away can relocate vessels from any manufacturer either new or used, private or commercial from brands like Arvor, Bayliner, Sea Ray, Mustang, and others. Our specially built transport equipment has been designed to handle a wide array of hull shapes, widths, weights and vessel lengths up to 60 foot. We hault things safely by road for either short or long distance relocations, pickups or delivery in Australia.
Being able to haul oversize or wide loads by road over long distances interstate is one of our specialties and it is why we are a company chosen by so many large boat owners who don’t have their own trailer or dealers in the marine industry.
We use low loader boat trailers on air suspension and a sloper trailer ideal for winching on and off your own trailer & boat. Each low loader trailer is equipped with adjustable chocks for both motor boats and deep keeled yachts as well as a complete set of wide load marker boards and flashing beacons to keep the load visible on the road. Every day we liaise with marinas & boatyards to plan collection & delivery for oversize vessels of all types.
Where necessary, we will also deal with police and traffic agencies to facilitate the safe movement of abnormal loads. It is pretty normal for us to go beyond the normal procedures of boat transport, having collected boats from fields, backyards, industrial estates, gardens and even from remote properties. We make boats transportation simple, easy & stress free.
Calculate boat transport costs - deal direct with the owner
Slip Away is a long and short distance heavy load haulage company in Australia that has an enviable reputation in the marine transportation industry. With more than 10 years of experience Slip Away has moved thousands of boats by road between Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Newcastle and other locations. We make it easy to get your boat moved, delivered or relocated no matter whether you have bought a used from a private seller, from an auction, or even brand new from a dealer.
Slip Away is Australian owned and operated with dedicated professionals that know how to handle high value property with due diligence and great care. We have visited nearly every marina, ramp or storage facility that you can think of, this provides peace of mind to know your vessel will be transported safely between nearby locations or even interstate.
In pretty much all scenarios the cost to transport something by road will be much less expensive compared to other forms of moving. You can easily compare the costs to shipping or even water delivery and should consider things such as;
- The difficulty of boat towing
- cost of diesel or petrol fuel.
- Wear and tear if travelling on the open ocean.
- The amount of unnecessary engine hours.
- The cost of a skipper or crew to manage the vessel.
- What happens if there is a break down while it is on the ocean.
- How to manage bad weather or changing sea swells.
Transporting marine craft by road is now an accepted and very common way for owners to move their vessel where they need it. Slip Away’s has a fleet of heavy load transport vehicles and trailers that have been specifically designed for this purpose of moving large craft safely.
Learn more about boat transport with our handy information guides.
Pick up or delivery transportation from a boat yard
If you are buying something new from a dealer we can provide you with a delivery cost estimate so that you can compare it to the price they quote in the sale amount. Most dealers might include delivery in the cost of purchase, but that will also means a profit margin has been included which makes your overall price higher. Depending on how your deal is structured other fees & charges might also be included.
You can contact us directly to get a boat delivery cost estimate & find out what our available rates are so that you can save money getting your new purchase delivered to you, we can even take it straight to a ramp to put it in the water.
We operate a modern fleet of vehicles using custom built trailers that are designed to give your vessel a soft ride with protection for the whole journey. Each one of our heavy haulage trailers are fitted with adjustable supports that can fit motor boats and motor yachts up to 57 foot long & with different hull shapes. We even have a compact rig that is for access to tight tight locations like a house while our low loader trailers are ideal for carrying flybridge motor cruisers or deep keel yachts.
We offer a reliable and competitively priced boat moving service for either private individuals or trade customers like boat builders, marinas and numerous yacht brokers. We are proud of the relationships developed with our customers over the years and regularly get asked to collect boats multiple times from our regular clients.
Frequently asked questions
Where do you get started to plan moving a boat by road?
Following each customer’s initial enquiry & quote approval, we begin the meticulous planning process that ensures a trouble free move for the boat, the owner and ourselves. Initially a verbal contact will be made to establish a maximum price range for the move. This has to take into account the probable time and distance involved, the boat dimensions, any special escort requirements etc.
With those parameters established, we then set about planning the safest, most economical and efficient movement procedures for the boat. At any one time we may have up to eighty “live” enquiries and although they will not all be delivered by us [unfortunately], they provide a matrix or draft timetable, allowing journeys to be linked and expensive “empty running” eliminated or at least reduced to a minimum.
We are constantly contacting customers to outline alternative dates or timing so ensure the best balance of timing and affordable rates. The objective is to fit all the various factors into a working combination – creating an opportunity for everyone to benefit from a cost effective, safe and efficient boat moving operation. Each week, plans are carefully drawn up for the following week, enabling bookings to be made with all parties. (With some busy boatyards bookings may have to be made much sooner) Police will be notified of “Abnormal Load Movements” where appropriate, escort vehicles booked if required and boatyards and marinas advised of arrival times.
Meanwhile it is important that you get the boat prepared for transportation
Making your boat safe for transport by road
- All ornaments and unsecured items inside the boat should be placed on the floor or beds and covered with cushions. (The boat will get a comfortable ride on our air suspended trailers but delicate items should be protected or removed)
- Gas bottles and batteries should be turned off and isolated.
- Hazardous materials must be removed
- Radar arches, radio aerials and lighting gantries should be lowered or removed.
- Splash screens should be removed or protected unless they are very strong and permanently fixed.
- In almost all circumstances canopies should be removed. Many owners baulk at this but, apart from the obvious damage implications, torn or loose canvas could become detached and blow onto a following motor-cyclist.
- Yacht masts should be placed on top of the boat wherever possible, carefully wrapped and insulated from vibration and chafing.
- Ropes and fenders should be stowed safely.
- These tasks should normally be carried out by the owner and / or boatyard staff but our drivers and attendants will help with safe stowage.
- Any keys or paperwork requirements should be agreed in advance.
Typical loading procedures prior to boat transport
If we are picking your vessel up from a boat ramp we will contact you prior to run through what needs to be done. Very simply you will have the boat driven to the agreed location & we will proceed to lift it out of the water for you.
If we are collecting from a boat yard or marine they will generally have a crane, hoist or forklift with a crew of qualified operatives to load the boat onto our trailer. We work together with them to ensure that the craft is safely placed on the vehicle, the keel lowered onto padded blocks on the the chassis, and the hull supported with adjustable padded arms. Ensuring that the boat is safely “cradled” for transport by road. The boat is then inspected for damage and if the owner is absent, pointed out to the loading team. The owner may be called and the damage photographed.
The travelling height of the load is carefully measured, ensuring that the vehicle will pass safely along the selected route (We can check the height against known bridge limits and ensure that the chosen route is safe. More risky is the potential damage caused by low branches of trees especially after periods of rain. Hence our insistence on the removal of canopies and other vulnerable items.
Having stowed any ropes and fenders safely within the boat, the load is then strapped to the trailer. As the journey progresses – especially in the early stages – frequent stops are made to check the security and safe condition of the boat to ensure it is not moving about. Once we are satisfied we will continue driving to the planned destination for unloading.
This is the most popular question that we get asked obviously.
The cost to transport a boat will range from $900 to $30,000 inc gst depending how far & how big it is. The cost also includes loading & unloading time, sometimes it has to be done late at night due to local road laws.
We provide free quotes and reason it will vary is it depends on these factors;
- Where the boat is being picked up from
- The distance it has to travel
- The type of boat it is
- The weight of the boat
- The value of the boat
- How difficult the access will be at either location
- The time of year
- How quickly you need it transported
- What trailer and truck we have to use
- Value of the boat to be insured
The cost calculated isn’t just for the distance or time in transit, you also have to consider the loading and unloading time, administration, logistics management etc that are also needed to move your boat safely. All of this contributes to the cost of boat transport.
Like any skilled professional service when you get a quote for boat transport costs the calculation is more than just looking at the distance to be travelled. Some larger boats it could mean a job that takes one or two days to complete & with great difficulty.
For some people transporting a boat by road might seem strange compared to moving it by water. Although nearly all boats at some point need to be out of the water for maintenance or to be sold to a new owner. Moving it by road is often the fastest & simplest way to achieve this whether it has to travel a few kilometres or be moved interstate. This is usually the cheaper cost option compared to sailing or motoring it by sea. Using Slip Away as your boat transport company means you can save time, fuel, engine hours, plus wear and tear.
Our focus as a boat transportation company is to provide a specialist transport service for boats of all types and sizes. When you hire us, you get access to many years of knowledge about how to properly lift a boat, where and how to secure it a trailer & how to safely tow such a heavy load. Our attention to detail will ensure your asset has a safe trip by road (which is fully insured as well)
Most states of Australia also require oversize transportation permits from the relevant state roads authority to ensure each company adheres to the correct requirements. We can collaborate with other marine companies to help you with storage, crane lifts, maintenance or other services needed for your boat.
We always make sure to explain all the costs up front with our fixed price quotes & we don’t hide any extra fees or charges.
If your boat is about to get moved by a boat transport company these are the main things that have to be prepared before pick up
- Masts must be lowered and either secured on the deck, or completely stripped (spreaders, lights, wind instruments, antennas, etc) so that the mast can be transported on the bed of our trailer. Booms and spinnaker poles should either be placed down below or securely fastened on the deck.
- All canvas should be removed. Any covers or canopies left on are moved at your own risk.
- All warps, fenders, life rings and other loose items on deck should be stowed. Anchors should be secured.
- Aerials should be lowered, hatches and windows secured.
- Depending on the type of boat and where it is being transported from and to the following items may need to be removed; radar arch, propellers, rudders, light mast and windscreen. The radar dome itself should be removed and placed in the cabin.
- Water tanks and bilges should be drained. Water, gas, electric and fuel supplies should be switched off.
- Remove any hazardous or flammable materials.
- Tenders on davits and outboards on brackets should ideally be removed and stowed below deck. If left attached they should be properly secured.
- Outdrives (if fitted) should be fully raised.
- Keys must be left with the driver. If the transport involves crossing a border, we will also need the following original documents: registration document, proof of purchase (bill of sale).
Slip Away boat transport has a number of different transport routes available that include;
- Sydney to Gold Coast
- Sydney to Brisbane
- Sydney to Melbourne
- Sydney to Cairns
- Melbourne to Sydney
- Melbourne to Gold Coast
- Melbourne to Brisbane
- Gold Coast to Sydney
- Gold Coast to Melbourne
- Gold Coast to Cairns
Our towing vehicle can do transportation services interstate to all locations in Melbourne, Victoria or Queensland like the Runaway Bay, Port Douglas or Airlie Beach.
Yes we can pick up and transport a boat from interstate with our specialist trailers. It makes buying a boat really simple and easy as we do all the work for you.
We think buying a boat trailer is a waste of time and money. They can cost over ten thousand dollars and sit around most of the time not doing anything. You can hire a mobile slip cradle for as little as $66 per week.
No unfortunately, if you get involved it can actually make the process slower and add risk. Our team of professionals are fully qualified and have been handling boat transport situations for many years. You could provide a cup of coffee or a beer afterwards though.
It is important to make sure your boat is prepared correctly before being transported.
We have written a short guide to help explain what is needed
When you are considering boat transport in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane or the Gold Coast you have a few different options;
- Drive the boat by water; most larger boats can be driven by sea from one location to the other and this choice will suit boat owners who have a larger boat over 30 foot in size or motor yacht owners. It sounds like an adventure but it takes a long time in most cases, puts long hours on the engines, costs a lot in fuel & is high risk if you are not experienced using a marine vessel on the ocean. You can hire someone to drive your boat but finding a qualified boat skipper becomes expensive. So while it is possible to transport a boat via the water it is costly & puts wear and tear on your vessel.
- Online transport directories; there are online transport directories that let you post your boat transport job & then field transportation quotes online. At first glance these sound like fast, easy solutions to get your boat transported. Although there is a risk associated with choosing someone. to transport your boat who is not experienced at handling marine vessels. You have to remember that boats can be quite fragile with fibreglass hulls, outboard motors and very unique shapes, sizes and weights. So it is not as straight forward as moving a simple box trailer. So while the online quotes for boat transport may seem quite cheap, it could cost you in the long run.
- Sea freight; some transport companies can offer sea freight and they use a shipping container to transport your boat. It gets loaded onto a large freight ship and travels by sea to another port. The downside to this is that usually you then have to go and pick your boat up from a depot which adds more time, cost and hassle to moving your boat. This method is usually for transporting boats interstate or from another country where driving it by sea isn’t feasible.
- Backloading transport; Some freight companies offer backload boat transport and what this means is they put your boat on the back of a semi trailer shipment to fill the space that is empty. It is done to help cover costs of transport runs that are not completely full. So it could mean your boat is getting moved with other household goods or heavy freight items. In most cases this also means you have to pick your boat up at a depot, so again, more time, cost & hassle to organise transporting your boat. The other thing to consider is that some of these companies are not boat transportation specialists, so your precious assett is treated like any other bulky good rather than getting the special attention boats require when being moved.
- Boat towing; If your boat is already on a trailer you can hire someone to tow your boat to where you need it to go. For smaller boats this can be a simple option although for larger boats tow truck companies may not have the qualifications or expertise to handle large, heavy loads. In many cases these services will be restricted to local areas or short distances where the other options are suitable for long distance boat relocations. Most tow vehicles will be limited to dropping off at a house or a marine & may not be suitable to taking boats to a boat ramp.
- Boat freight; using a freight company can be similar to the sea freight or backloading options. Quite a few heavy haulage freight companies will offer options to take a boat on a trailer as part of their service. This might mean your boat gets moved with two or more together in one haulage run & taken. to a depot for collection. These companies move heavy freight as their speciality which is a good thing but then you are limited to their depot locations & have to organise drop off and pick ups which is time consuming. You also don’t know exactly who is handling your boat.
- Boat transport by road; if you have read this far then by now you will realise this information for some people may seem self serving and it is for good reason. Getting your boat transport by road is simply the most efficient, hassle free & most flexible way to get your boat transported & this is why;
- Deal directly with the person transporting your boat.
- Door to door pick up and delivery, meaning it goes exactly where you need it to, no depot or storage facility to worry about.
- Location choices are unlimited because a boat transporter by road can go to a marina, boat dealer, house or even a boat ramp to get your boat.
- It’s low cost because you pay one price to have it moved – no other marina lifting fees, boat skipper costs, depot storage fees etc.
- It’s reliable because compared to taking it by sea if something were to happen while being transported your boat is on land, easy to retrieve and not subject to tides, weather or breakdowns
- You save money long term because other options like driving by sea mean adding unnecessary engine hours & maintenance needs.
- It’s the perfect way to get your boat to an engine builder, antifouling service, re-trimmer or boat restorer.
So the choices are relatively simple to make & different options will suit different situations, but clearly boat transportation by road is by far the simplest and most flexible choice for any boat owner.
These are the ten key pieces of information you need to get an accurate boat transportation quotation
- Boat length
- Boat weight
- Boat height
- Boat width
- Brand & model
- Type of hull
- Location from
- Location to
- Does it have a trailer already
- When is transport required
Slip Away has been operating for over 10 years in Australia with a special emphasis on interstate marine transport services in New South Wales, Victoria, and Queensland. It doesn’t matter the make, model or type that you need help with, Slip Away ensures safe and secure haulage, delivering a wide array of different classes and sizes.
When thinking about getting something transported, the main concerns usually revolve around safety, timing, how to get from one place to the other & whether a depot or container will be used. Using our service gets rid of all those concerns, you deal directly with the person who will be providing the service. Our hassle-free way of doing things means it is easy to get a quote, book in a date then leave the rest to us, Slip Away is your best choice.
Slip Away handles all shapes & sizes whether you are buying something that is used from a private seller or just want to take it somewhere else to use it in a different location. Our fleet is well-maintained so you can be sure that everything is taken care of at the most competitive price in Sydney. Slip Away’s transportation services are handled by expert watercraft industry professionals and we will make sure that it gets moved in the most secure manner possible.
If you consider moving something by water or using services that use depots the costs involved can be quite high & it could take a lot of time as well. Among other pressing concerns, there are problems that can arise, such as delays from dreadful weather conditions, mid-water collapses, overhead costs associated with hiring skippers, and so on. In comparison moving that is done by road is the now one of the most appropriate, safest, and reliable means of relocating heavy marine vessels.
Slip Away can go to most boat ramps and float your boat onto our trailer to get it out of the water.
You can check the RMS Boat Ramp Map for information of the locations. We can then advise you what will be suitable depending on the type of vessel you have.