How to buy a boat interstate
and get it delivered
Slip Away hauls large boats by road interstate
Get a boat transported interstate after you buy it
It is so easy to find new or used boats for sale online in any State of Australia. There are so many websites that list hundreds of ads from sellers either private or dealers like Boatsonline , Yachthub, Trade A Boat, or even online auctions like Grays Boats. A more recent trend that we are seeing emerge is the use of boat brokers because they have a network of clients who are after a specific model, size or type of marine vessel that are ready to buy. It is a smart way to quickly sell or buy a boat whether it is new or used. Luxury Marine in Sydney is a boat broker who will even buy used boats for cash & provide payment within 24 hours which makes it one of the easiest ways to swap or upgrade your craft with very little hassle.
So in the last 18 months we have been asked for thousands of quotes to find out the cost of interstate boat transport because buyers are using the internet to find an available vessel, negotiate with the seller & then have it moved where they need to use it. Even if it is located far away & you need to move a large boat from say Cairns to Sydney it is very easy & our boat moving service can handle all types of vessels. We specialise in collecting boats that are not on a trailer already and are 20 to 60 foot in size, no matter the hull shape or material.
In addition, we are fully insured and we are able to eliminate all the frustrations of trying to do it yourself. So this broadens the choices you have because you can pick from so many more locations, either private sellers or dealers. These are the steps to take when thinking about buying interstate;
- Choose your boat type; The most obvious ones are sailboats and fishing boats, but you should also consider the primary purpose you want it to serve, like who will use it, where will it be used, and how it will be stored.
- New vs used boats, there are pros and cons to both, but you should also evaluate its general condition, its servicing history, and any warranty it may have. Considering the fact that you can use one of our mobile slip cradles to have your boat inspected, please keep that in mind.
- Find your boat; online listings are the easiest but there are also lots of boat shows or dealers you can visit. A clever way is to use a boat broker like Luxury Marine who will find a specific type for you.
- Try and test drive it; looking at photos are one thing but experiencing it is another. Although it is more difficult to test drive a boat than a car, it should be attempted to ensure it is suitable for you. You can evaluate things like the controls, storage, safety items, visibility, noise and close up details like erosion etc. Obviously trying to do this when you are in another state is a bit trickier but you could fly there & have the boat moved later or alternatively seek out a boat inspection service.
- Payment; when it comes to payment, it’s important to read the fine print in a formal purchase agreement and look over all the inclusions to make sure they are clearly stipulated in the contract of sale. Also get photos of everything to be 100% sure.
- Insurance; again it is critical to check when and how your boat will be insured and who’s responsibility it is while it is in storage, in transit or in the water etc.
- Transport your boat; once you know the locations to & from it is easy to get quotations to then sort out the logistics of moving it. Some dealers may include the cost of delivery in the purchase price, but be careful, it may not actually be their company offering the service, instead it may be contracted & they are taking a margin. Be sure to check as it could save you some money & you can choose the provider you prefer to use.
What choices are available to get a boat moved interstate?
- Boat ramp pick up; take a look at our special trailer that can let you float a boat on from a ramp
- Backload transporter; your boat goes with other goods either by road or by rail & you pick it up at a depot.
- Shipping container; your boat is packed into a container to be moved by sea.
- Tow truck; they hitch your trailer up to their vehicle and drive it.
- Heavy haulage company; they put it on their trailers with other cargo and drive it by road.
- Boat transportation specialist; they will use specialise marine vessel towing equipment to move your boat safely by road.
- Drive it by water; you can hire a skipper (and crew if it is a large motor yacht) and they can drive it by water.
There are many different ways you can get a boat moved, there are inexperienced operators who use their 4WD so any owner needs to be wary of who they choose. Like any professional service you are paying for expertise, knowledge & to have someone look after your new possession. Slip Away has been providing specialist marine transport solutions to boat owners in New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland for some time now, and has a strong focus on providing a personal service where you deal with the owner operator directly. Our services are not offered through depots, 3rd party storage facilities or marinas. Instead, we provide a door-to-door service that’s available to you, wherever your boat is based.
We have developed and designed a fleet of specialised boat trailers that are designed and built so that transporting your boat becomes as easy as possible and as safe as possible. The movement of your boat from one marina to another can be accomplished in Sydney, as well as a relocation of your boat interstate or even the purchase of a used boat and delivery to Sydney. The boat transport service we offer is capable of accommodating any situation that occurs when transporting a boat. Slip Away’s transport services are more cost-effective than hauling your boat by trailer or driving it across the water, therefore, you will save more money by choosing to transport your boat by us. The engine hours, fuel, and time can be saved. As a result, you avoid conflicts caused by the weather or tidal issues.
Do you have to own a trailer to get your boat towed?
Slip Away has a fleet of towing vehicles and trailers that we use for different situations. So depending on the size of your boat, its weight & the pick up or drop off locations we will use an appropriate combination that suits your needs.
This can include scenarios where you don’t own your own trailer or your boat is kept in the water. Our boat transport company has all the equipment needed to move your boat easily.
What if you buy a boat interstate but don't have a local mooring?
It’s not difficult to have your boat out of the water for a few dollars a week so you can service it, upgrade it, or store it just about anywhere until it is ready for use. It is possible to pick up your boat, either at your residence or a marina, or even at a local boat ramp if you prefer. Even when using our cradles you will be able to do things like antifouling services due to our cradle’s incredible hull access vs a typical trailer.
Just give us a few details and we’ll work out a package price to tow your boat on a cradle and/or our trailer & take it where you need.